What’s the difference between a TS, TRS and TRRS cable?

How to tell the difference between TS, TRS and TRRS cables, and what each are used for in the home studio.

In this video, I give a quick and simple explanation of the different types of 1/4″ and 1/8″ cables, and explain the difference between TS, TRS and TRRS.

Here’s a quick rundown:
TS = Tip/Sleeve – mono unbalanced cable used for instruments, speakers
TRS = Tip/Ring/Sleeve – mono (balanced) or stereo (unbalanced) cable used for line level inputs and outputs (mono) and headphones/inserts (stereo)
TRRS = Tip/Ring/Ring/Sleeve – stereo (unbalanced) + microphone cable, used for smartphones, tablets and laptops.
== Product Links ==

Rode SC4 TRS to TRRS adapter – https://amzn.to/2JWjnIr
Audio Technica AT3350 lavalier mic (with adapter included) – https://amzn.to/2YqnRzf
== Pete Recommends ==

Full list of the audio and video gear I use is at:

Note – Links provided in this video description may be affiliate links, meaning that if you choose to purchase products using these links, a small commission may be paid to me for referring you. Thanks for helping me and the channel.

Releasing Music – DistroKid – http://distrokid.com/vip/PeteJohns (7% off first year)
Video Editing (Desktop) – Adobe Premiere Pro
Video Editing (Mobile) – LumaFusion
Design & Images – Canva – http://canva.com
== Web & Social ==

Patreon – http://patreon.com/petejohns
Web – http://studiolivetoday.com
Facebook – http://fb.me/PeteJohnsMusic
Twitter – http://twitter.com/StudioLiveToday
Soundcloud – https://soundcloud.com/PeteJohns
Email – pete@studiolivetoday.com